Gifts of the Spirit – House Church Bible Study
We have been looking at the Gifts of the Holy Spirit during the last few Sundays. House Church provides an excellent environment to encourage one another towards the discovery, and application of the gifts. Take time this morning to discuss and pray into these unmerited gifts given by the Holy Spirit.
Let’s Read our passage for today, 1 Corinthians 12:1-11;
1 Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed. 2 You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. 3 Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit. 4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work. 7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.
Paul listed out:
Different kinds of Gifts, Service, and Working (KJV – Gifts, administrations, and operations)
QUESTION: From what you remember, what are the differences between the three types of gifts?
Different kinds of Gifts
Charismaton (Charismata) – literally meaning ‘a gift of Grace,’ as they are distributed by the Spirit.
- These are gifts like a word of wisdom, word of knowledge, or discernment.
- Again, NOTHING we did, or can do, merits getting these gifts.
- They are a GIFT OF GRACE, given AS THE SPIRIT determines…
Different kinds of Service
Diakonian (This is the service performed by Diakonos – the word translated DEACON)
- Some refer to these as Gifts of Office, or a ‘Calling’ on your life
- This would be a pastor, or a missionary, a craftsman, or a teacher
- Specific roles and tasks… given by the same Lord
Different kinds of Working
Energematon – literally meaning ‘energy at work’.
- One interpretation is ‘an effect produced by the energy of God’
- This can be described as ‘gifts or workings of miracles’, by the same God
- This could be a miracle of healing, or provision, or a deliverance from addiction
- Different than a calling or a gift, in that they are something that happens, or comes to pass
ALL THESE are the work of the One and Same Spirit;
Like a Master Conductor of a huge Orchestra
- Weaving together all the parts into a beautiful, complete body
QUESTION: Why are the gifts given… why are they distributed?
1 Corinthians 12:7;
Each manifestation of the Spirit is given for the ‘common good’ (original language… sympheron… (common profit)
- They are to build up one another; to edify and profit one another
QUESTION: Does that mean they are not an evangelistic tool? And if not, why would that be?
GROUND RULES for the use of Spiritual Gifts
Edification (build up)
At times, edification can be tough
The bible says that “The Lord disciplines those he loves (Hebrews 12:6).”
QUESTION: What is the difference between Correction and Condemnation?
Correction is rooted in love, with the intent to build up.
LOVE is the foundation, and the trademark, of all spiritual gifts.
If you do not have love, with a desire to build up and edify, YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS using spiritual gifts.
QUESTION: What does the bible say about someone who uses spiritual gifts without love?
QUESTION: Have you ever come across a Christian like this? What was your reaction?
Grace (to allow people to ‘develop’ the gifts that God has given them)
One of the worst things you can do, is to squash an emerging gift in someone
QUESTION: What does extending grace to ALLOW and ENCOURAGE the development of gifts look like?
NATURE OF SPIRITUAL GIFTS
The Gifts are distributed by Grace
Spiritual Gifts are a ‘Gift of Grace’, obtained without merit, as the Spirit determines
- The idea of the master conductor of an orchestra
The Gifts are Super-Natural by nature
There are natural gifts, and there are gifts distributed by the Holy Spirit that supersede natural abilities
The Gifts function together as a body
The body is made up of MANY parts, and each ‘part’ has been given a particular task, ALONG WITH whatever gifts are necessary, to fulfill that task
- ANYONE can be used to operate in ANY gift,
- But each ‘part’ has unique abilities to do things only that part can do
The Gifts are SUBJECT TO THE CONTROL of the person using them
QUESTION: Read 1 Corinthians 14:26-33 and give examples of how this passage reveals order and control
The Gifts are MEANT TO BE USED
You have a responsibility having been given a gift; for the edification of others
If you do not use it, you are robbing the body
DIFFERENT KINDS OF GIFTS (First Set of the CHARISMATA from 1 Corinthians 12:8-11)
This list is grouped into three ‘triads’ of giftings, often seen coupled together)
After reading over the giftings and their descriptions, talk among yourselves how you developed, and seen these gifts at work in your life, or the lives of others.
Word of Knowledge / Discernment of Spirit / Word of Wisdom
Word (Message) of Knowledge
Animportant distinction is that scripture does not say a ‘gift of knowledge’, but a ‘message (or word) of knowledge’.
- It literally means receiving some knowledge about a situation, or perhaps a person, BY THE HOLY SPIRIT.
- This gift is often accompanied by Discernment of Spirits
Discernment of Spirits
This is the ability to distinguish whether something is of God, or from the enemy, or of the flesh
- I simplify it to say, the ability to determine the spirit of something (or someone)
- Acts 16:16-18
Word (Message) of Wisdom
This has been described as, ‘The correct application of knowledge’
Faith / Miraculous Powers / Healings
This is an overwhelming trust and belief in God, given to us in a time of need, BY THE HOLY SPIRIT
The original word for miracles is ‘dunamis’, (where we get our word ‘dynamite’ from).
- A definition of this gift is the ‘Manifestation of God’s Power.’
- Wherever they go, things seem to just happen!
This is PLURAL in the original language
- It is not THE GIFT of healing… But GIFTS of healing
Prophecy / Tongues / Interpretation of Tongues
Defined as, ‘speaking the mind of God’
We are given the words to speak, and/or given a glimpse into the mind of God for a moment
- And we are prompted by the Holy Spirit to share that with others
- The eternal nature of prophecy seems to always point to the past, be applicable in the present, AND have ramifications for the future.
- We sometimes differentiate Prophecy from Tongues, as Prophecy is given in the common language, and tongues is given in unknown language, requiring interpretation
1 Corinthians 14:2-4
For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit. But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort. Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church.
- Tongues: is you speaking to God, for the edification of yourself
- Prophecy: is speaking the mind of God to people, for their edification to strengthen, encourage, and comfort
- We differentiate between personal tongues (which is just for you), and the GIFT of Tongues, which like all the other Charismata, is for the building up of others.
is the outflow of the Presence of the Holy Spirit within us,
The Gift of Tongues
is a PUBLIC gift, which requires the complementary gift of Interpretation of Tongues
- If you speak in tongues aloud in a church setting, scripture tells you that you are to pray for interpretation, so others hearing it can come into agreement with what is proclaimed
- Scripturally, Tongues, with interpretation, are also a sign for unbelievers, that they might ‘fall down and worship God’, exclaiming ‘God is really among you.’
Interpretation of Tongues
Then, is the Holy Spirit revealing to someone the meaning of what was spoken in tongues
- And giving that person the unction to present that message to those that are gathered
Eagerly desire spiritual gifts, but with the intent to love and build one another up. The gifts are given as the Holy Spirit determines; they belong to Him. We can do nothing to earn them, and we cannot choose what gifts we are given. It is our responsibility to use the gifts we are given as part of the body. A body of believers with the gifts properly at work amongst them is a beautiful symphony conducted by the Master, the Holy Spirit.